Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Q&A with Judith Danovitch!

1. What inspired you to become a psychologist? 

I think I was always interest in cognitive development (although I didn't know it was called that) because I grew up speaking three languages at home, and I often wondered how that was possible and why it was easy for me. In college, I worked in a psychology lab and taught children in different settings and I realized how much I loved working with children and how interesting it would be to try to understand their thinking processes.

2. What is your favorite part about doing research?

My favorite part of research is collecting data and seeing the results. It is so much fun to hear what children have to say, and it is exciting to discover new aspects of how their minds work.

3. What research finding do you think is most important for parents to know?

I think the research on temperament is extremely valuable for parents. Temperament basically means that different children react to the same experience in different ways. So, for example, one child might experience a roller coaster ride as fun while another child finds it terrifying. I think if parents understood this better, they would be more appreciative of their child's individuality and be less likely to compare their child to other children.

4. What goal do you hope to accomplish with your research?

I hope to give parents, educators, and the general public new insights into how children think at different points in their development. 







No comments:

Post a Comment